0203 384 4389

British Citizenship – Partner Route

Intro text about citizenship routes to go here.

If you are unsure of your position or would like to ensure that your application is handled by a knowledgeable specialist, get in touch with one of our friendly team members now on 0203 384 4389 to find out exactly how we can assist you to get it right first time round, saving you time, money and the heartache of being refused.

Confidential Assessment Form

  • Drop files here or
    Max. file size: 256 MB.

    Further Information


    You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:

    • are 18 or over
    • are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen
    • have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application

    You must also:

    • prove you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application
    • prove your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
    • have passed the life in the UK test
    • be of good character – read Naturalisation booklet AN

    You’re from the European Economic Area (EEA)

    You must have one of the following:

    • a permanent residence card to prove you have permanent residence status
    • indefinite leave to remain in the UK
    • indefinite leave to enter the UK

    You may have lost your indefinite leave to remain or enter if you’ve been away from the UK for more than 2 years at any time since you got it.

    You’re from outside the EEA

    You must have either:

    • indefinite leave to remain in the UK
    • indefinite leave to enter the UK

    ’Indefinite leave to enter’ is permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad – for example, on a Returning Resident visa.

    Residency requirements

    You should not have:

    • spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years before your application
    • spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
    • broken any UK immigration laws (for example working illegally in the UK)

    You may be exempt from the residency requirements if your partner works abroad either for the UK government or an organisation closely linked to government.

    Children under 18

    Your child is usually automatically a British citizen if they were born in the UK and when they were born either:

    • their other parent was a British citizen
    • you had indefinite leave to remain in the UK or permanent residence status

    If your partner has died

    You cannot apply for citizenship as the partner of a British citizen if your partner has died.

    After you've applied

    You’ll get a letter confirming your application. It can take up to 4 weeks.

    When you'll get a decision

    You’ll usually get a decision within 6 months – some applications can take longer.

    You’ll get a letter if you need to give more information to help with your application.

    Attending a citizenship ceremony

    You’ll need to attend a citizenship ceremony if your application is successful.

    Travelling to and from the UK

    Once you have a British passport you must use this to enter the UK.

    If you do not want a British passport you can apply for a certificate of entitlement instead.

    You cannot enter the UK using your BRP or certificate of British citizenship.

    Call Us Now To Discuss Your Needs on