0203 384 4389

British Citizenship – The European Route

Intro text about citizenship routes to go here.

If you are unsure of your position or would like to ensure that your application is handled by a knowledgeable specialist, get in touch with one of our friendly team members now on 0203 384 4389 to find out exactly how we can assist you to get it right first time round, saving you time, money and the heartache of being refused.

Confidential Assessment Form

  • Drop files here or
    Max. file size: 256 MB.

    Further Information


    You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:

    • are 18 or over
    • are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country
    • have had permanent residence status for the last 12 months – you’ll need a permanent residence document to prove this

    You must also:

    • prove you were in the UK exactly 5 years before the day the Home Office receives your application
    • prove your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
    • have passed the life in the UK test
    • intend to continue living in the UK
    • be of good character

    Residency requirements

    You should have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before the date of your application.

    You cannot include any time spent in the UK when you’re exempt from immigration control (for example, as a diplomat or member of visiting armed forces).

    You should also not have:

    • spent more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
    • spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
    • broken any UK immigration laws (for example working illegally in the UK)

    Apply for your children

    You must apply separately for your children – you cannot include them in your own application.

    You can apply to ‘register’ your child for citizenship if they were born either:

    • outside of the UK
    • in the UK before you got permanent residence status

    When you do not need to apply for your child

    Your child is automatically a British citizen if they were born both:

    • in the UK
    • after you got permanent residence status

    You can apply for a child’s passport if your child is under 16.

    Your child can apply for an adult passport if they’re over 16.

    After you've applied

    You’ll get a letter confirming your application. It can take up to 4 weeks.

    When you'll get a decision

    You’ll usually get a decision within 6 months – some applications can take longer.

    You’ll get a letter if you need to give more information to help with your application.

    Attending a citizenship ceremony

    You’ll need to attend a citizenship ceremony if your application is successful.

    Travelling to and from the UK

    Once you have a British passport you must use this to enter the UK.

    If you do not want a British passport you can apply for a certificate of entitlement instead.

    You cannot enter the UK using your certificate of British citizenship.

    Call Us Now To Discuss Your Needs on