Comparing UK Spouse and Fiance Visas: Which One is Right for You

UK Spouse vs Fiance Visa

It is very important to figure out which visa route is best for you when you want to join your British partner or spouse in the UK. The UK Spouse Visa, the Fiancé Visa, and the Unmarried Partner Visa are some of the cards that can help people come to the UK to be with their partner or spouse. We compare the UK Spouse vs. Fiance Visa to help you make the best choice.

Call our team at 0203 384 4389 right now for expert immigration help on spouse and fiancé visas.

The UK Spouse visa, the Fiancé visa, and the Unmarried Partner visa are some of the visas that can help people come to the UK to be with their partner or spouse. We compare the fiancé visa and the spouse visa to help you make the right choice.

It can be hard to determine which of these “family visas” is right for you because they sound so much alike. But they are not the same in important ways. That’s the point of this blog post—to help you figure out which is best for you and your family.

How Do Spouse and Fiancé Visas Vary From One Another?

The fiancé(e) visa is for individuals planning to marry a British citizen or a resident already living in the UK with legal settlement. Applicants must demonstrate their intention to marry within six months of entering the UK to qualify for a Fiancé visa.

The spouse visa is for individuals residing in the UK with a British partner or those married to or in a civil union with a British partner, aiming to join them. Certainly! In the United Kingdom, there are two types of visas related to marriage: the fiancé visa and the spouse visa. The fiancé visa only lasts for 6 months, while the spouse visa can last for up to 30 months. You can renew a spouse visa, but you cannot renew a fiancé visa in the same way. Both of these visas are family visas for the UK.

The fiance method only aims to provide you with time off to get married. The main “partner” route for applying for a UK family visa has essentially absorbed this route.  For each visa, there are specific standards that both the applicant and their sponsor (your sponsor is your partner or husband) must meet.

Requirements of a UK Fiancé Visa

  • If you think the fiancé visa is better for you and your situation, you must ensure you meet the requirements. These are the main requirements:
  • You or your partner must be a British citizen, have Indefinite Leave to Remain, limited leave to remain under Appendix EU, or limited leave to remain under Appendix ECAA at all times.
  • Both of you must be over 18 years old.
  • You and your partner must plan to live together forever in the UK and show the Home Office that you have found a good place to live.
  • You must marry your partner within 6 months of coming to the UK.
  • You need to be able to speak English.
  • You must provide documentation of breaking up with past partners.

Some other important conditions are:

  • You must meet the financial requirements. For your partner to sponsor you, they must make at least £18,600 a year. If you want to bring any dependents with you to the UK, like children, you must also pay an extra £3,800 for the first child and £2,400 for every additional child.
  • You need to show proof that your friendship is real, like proof that you met in person.

Spouse Visa Requirements

  • If you think the spouse visa is the right family visa, you must again meet the requirements. In the UK, getting a partner visa can be extremely hard because the Home Office has to be sure that the person and their sponsor (spouse) are not cheating and are in a real relationship.
  • For a UK spouse visa, the most important things you need are:
  • To show the Home Office that you are in a real relationship, you and your partner must pass the “Genuine Relationship Test.”
  • Your wedding must follow the rules.
  • Both of you must be at least 18 years old.
  • You must be married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen or someone who lives in the UK permanently.
  • You and your spouse need to have been living together for a minimum of two years before you may apply.
  • You have enough money and won’t need financial help from the government.
  • You may provide evidence of a place to reside in the UK that is appropriate for you, your spouse, and any dependents. You can also test positive for English proficiency.

Are Fiancee and Spouse Visas Valid for Employment in the UK?

People who come to the UK on a fiance visa for the first six months can’t work until they marry their partner. After marrying or entering a civil partnership, and once your spouse visa is approved, you can work as much as you desire.

Can I Change My UK Fiancé Visa to a Spouse Visa?

  • As was already said, the Fiance visa is only good for six months. During that time, you have to get married in the UK. A lot of people who come in on a fiancé visa later change their status to a spouse visa.
  • This change lets you stay in the UK longer, for up to two years and six months of leave. If you are married to a British person or already living in the UK, you will need to submit your first application. It also gives you a way to settle down since you can apply for indefinite leave to remain after living in the UK for five years.
  • For the five years you need to live in the UK before you can apply for settlement, you cannot count any time you spent there as a fiancé.
  • Getting a spouse visa is possible from inside the UK. The process can take up to 12 weeks, but it doesn’t usually go that long.

Get in touch with our helpful staff right away.