Elderly Dependent Visa

You can get assistance from one of UKIS’s immigration solicitors if you need help applying for a family member visa (Elderly Dependent Visa).

Simply call us at 0203 384 4389 if you need help with your visa. You can also fill out the online form here.

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
How can we help you today?

An Overview of Elderly Dependent Visa

Many settled persons in the UK have elderly parents who live abroad. Often, the UK resident supports their parents financially and even though they live 1000’s of miles away, they are still very much involved in their parent’s day to day lives.
Sadly, with old age comes poor health which can make an already difficult position worse.
UK residents often find that it can be extremely challenging to juggle work and financial commitments here in the UK and therefore many would struggle to be practically able to make regular visits to see their parents in person.
Whilst this is a challenging area of immigration law, it is possible to make an application to join family members as a dependant even if all parties are adults.

Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative

You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

One of the following must also apply to the relative:

They are a British citizen who has settled in the UK (they have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or proof of permanent residence), they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must prove all of the following:

You need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years you’re 18 or over.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How long you can stay for

Your stay will be:

Unlimited if you applied to join a family member who’s British or settled in the UK – you will not need to apply to extend or settle as long as your family members stay if they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK – you’ll need to apply to extend or settle when they do.

Call now at 0203 384 4389

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Eligibility Criteria

In short, to be eligible for an adult-dependent relative (ADR) visa or elderly dependent visa, the adult dependant relative applicant must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter of someone living permanently in the UK. The applicant must prove the following criteria:

It is possible to seek entry clearance into the UK under an adult dependent relative (ADR) visa or elderly dependent visa as a couple.

To know more about eligibility criteria for an Elderly dependent visa in the UK, call now at 0203 384 4389

Availability of adequate care in the country of origin

Unless the applicant requires long term personal care with everyday tasks such as cooking, cleaning, washing and dressing, the application will be unlikely to succeed.

The UK Government requires applicant’s to demonstrate that adequate care is not available for them in their country of origin and hence they have a valid reliance on their UK relative and should be allowed to join them in the UK. This is a very tricky thing to prove in practice.

We have witnessed many Adult dependent relative (ADR) visas or Elderly Dependent Visa (ED) applications refused if a paid carer was available in the applicant’s home country, and the carer’s fees could be met by the applicant’s relative in the UK. This unreasonable requirement results in a ‘catch 22’ predicament for applicants.

If your sponsor is able to afford to maintain and accommodate the applicant in the UK for the next five years, the UK Government will argue that the sponsor is equally able to cover the cost of that care in their relative’s country of origin.

This results in the unenviable task of proving that the “required level of care” is not available in the applicant’s country of origin and that there is no one there who can reasonably provide it.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Most of the time, a child needs a visa in order to live in the UK. For instance, if their parent is a foreign national working or studying in the country, the child may need a Child Dependant Visa.

If your parent’s health situation evolves, or they no longer need care from you, they might need to return to their home country. If you wish to keep them in the UK beyond that period, you can apply for a Family Member Visa  or Elderly Dependent Visa to secure permanent residency for your parent.

Qualify as a doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional. Hold an eligible position in health or social care. Be employed by a UK employer approved by the Home Office. Possess a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer detailing the offered role in the UK.

This visa is for individuals receiving care from a family member in the UK is know as Adult Dependent Relative Visa or Elderly Dependent Visa.

The initial minimum income requirement for a spouse visa will increase to £29,000 in Spring 2024 and gradually rise to £38,700.
When applying for a Senior or Specialist Worker visa, you must have sufficient funds to cover the application fee, ranging from £719 to £1,500 based on your circumstances, and the healthcare surcharge, typically £624 per year.
How can we help you today?

Our Services

Spouse Visa, Fiancé Visa, Civil Partner Visa
Child Dependent Visa, Adult Dependent Relative Visa
ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), Visa Extensions, ILR through Domestic Violence
Retaining Rights of Residents, EU Settlement Status
Appeal a Decision , Challenge a Refusal, Judicial Review, Administration Review
Denied Entry , Deportation, Legal Representation, Detention & Bail
UK Business Expansion, UK Start-up Visa
UK Investor Visa, UK Self Sponsorship Visa,UK Sole Representative Visa
UK Visit Visas, Business Visit Visa
Visit Visa For marriage & Civil Partnership, Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
Skilled Worker Visas, Graduate Visa
Domestic Worker in Private Household Visa
Student Visa, Child Student Visa