FLR M for Spouse, Partner, and Child

FLR M for Spouse, Partner, and Child

You will need to use FLR (M) to ask for an extension if you are in the UK on a Family visa that will soon run out.

Call 02033844389 or email us to speak to one of our seasoned immigration experts about visa extensions, FLR(M), or any other concerns you may have about UK visas and living in the UK.

In this guide, we will explain FLR m meaning and how to apply it.

What does FLR M mean?

FLR, which stands for “further leave to remain,” means extending a visa that is about to run out.

In the UK, there are three kinds of FLR. The one you need will depend on the type of visa you have now.

The FLR(IR) form is used for several different visa extensions, such as for people with an Ancestry visa, parents of a child student, domestic workers in private homes, and more.

FLR(FP) lets you extend visas based on your family or private life. Most of the time, this is done for human rights-based visas.

FLR(M) allows family members of British or Irish citizens, or UK residents, to renew their visas for 30 months. People in the UK who are on family visas, like the spouse visa, are among these.

This article will provide a more detailed explanation of FLR(M) and the application process for spouses, partners, and children.

Who Can Fill Out a FLR (M) Form?

Requirements for Partners and Spouses

If you want to apply for a visa renewal through FLR (M) as a spouse or partner, you must have been married to or lived with one of the following people for at least two years:

  • British or Irish citizen
  • Anyone who has permanently lived in the UK for a long time has extended leave to remain or has settled or pre-settled under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Someone who has a Turkish Worker or Businessperson visa
  • A person in the UK who is a refugee or has emergency protection

When you applied for your first UK spouse visa from abroad, you should have met this criteria.

You also need to meet all the requirements that were set when you first applied for your visa. For example, you need to show proof of your relationship (like a marriage certificate). Also, show that you have enough money to pay for your trip.

For FLR (M), you may have to prove that you can speak and write English well again.

Requirements for Children

To qualify for FLR (M) as a child, you must meet at least one of the following:

  • A parent or spouse of your parent has been granted permission to enter or reside in the country.
    • resides in the UK and is present there
    • Has already been handled under the EU Settlement Scheme
    • Is in Turkey on a business tourist or worker visa
  • You wish to stay in the UK with a family member or someone with permission based on their family or private life in the UK.
  • There are good reasons for you to stay in the UK, and plans have been made for your care.

Also, you still have to meet all the requirements that were set when you initially asked for your visa. Let’s say you were born outside of the UK and are under 18 years old. You can’t be married or in a civil partnership, and you can’t live on your own.

English Language Requirements

Many requirements for an FLR(M) visa extension are similar to those for the initial visa.

If you initially received a Spouse visa, you might need to provide new proof of your English language skills. This is necessary if you wish to stay in the UK for more than 2.5 years.

For an FLR (M) Spouse visa renewal, you need to have at least an A2 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

In contrast, the level needed for the first Spouse visa was one level lower, at A1.

If you passed an approved test at least at the A2 level for your first Spouse visa, you can use that score on your FLR(M) application. Ensure the test provider has not revoked your certificate.

Otherwise, you must pass another English test at least at the A2 level to extend your Spouse visa under FLR(M).

Financial Requirements

When you first applied for your Spouse or Family visa, the financial standards were similar to those for FLR (M).

This usually means that you and your husband or partner must make at least £18,600 a year together.

If you have kids, the bare threshold will go up. You will have to show that you have an extra £3,800 a year for your first child and an extra £2,400 a year for each child after an initial one.

You might be able to show that you make the necessary income by using a variety of sources, such as cash savings, pensions, or income from sources other than work, like rent or dividends.

The sponsor parent or parents must also provide evidence that they hit this income level for the benefit of the sponsored child or children.

It is important to know that you do not have to show proof of basic income if your sponsor gets certain benefits, like the Disability Living Allowance or the Armed Forces Guaranteed Income.

When can I fill out a FLR (M) form?

If you want to renew your Family or Spouse visa under FLR (M), you must do so before your present visa expires.

You should, however, send in your FLR (M) application no more than 28 days before your visa ends.

This is because if you apply for FLR (M) before this date, you might need to apply for two visa extensions to meet the five-year residency requirement for indefinite leave to stay (ILR).

Making sure you apply for FLR (M) within the last 28 days of your visa’s validity will mean that you only need to apply for FLR (M) once to be qualified for ILR (if you are on the five-year path to ILR).

While the Home Office works on your application, you won’t have to worry about your visa running out. To stay in the UK until your FLR (M) application is decided, you must send in your application before the expiration date of your visa.

How do I fill out an application for FLR (M)?

  • You will need to use the Gov.uk website to apply for FLR (M).
  • To apply, you must be in the UK with a current Family or Spouse visa.
  • During the application process, you will need to give a lot of information about yourself and any children who want to apply with you and who depend on you.
  • There is also information you need to give about the person who will be funding your stay in the UK. This could be a parent, spouse, civil partner, or partner who is not married.
  • Make sure that you have filled out all of the necessary parts of the FLR (M) form properly and completely. Also, make sure you are using the most recent version of the form and that both you and your sponsor sign the statements at the end of it.

What Happens Once I Apply?

After you apply online for a Family visa or Spouse visa extension, you will be directed to a website. There, you can make an appointment at the nearest visa application centre.

This is the meeting where you will give your biometric information, which includes your fingerprints and a picture of yourself.

The Home Office will then work on your application after your meeting. Afterward, you will get a letter in the mail telling you what the outcome of your FLR (M) entry was.

If your request for more leave to remain is accepted, you will usually receive another 30 months in the UK. Your biometric residence permit will also be sent to you about a week after you get your decision.

The decision letter will explain why your request for more time to stay was denied. They will also tell you what to do next and if you have the right to appeal the ruling.

Get Help From Experts

Many people in the UK, including those with a Spouse visa UK or a Family visa UK, will need to ask for further leave to remain at some point.

It’s an important part of meeting the requirements for indefinite leave to remain and maintaining the legal right to stay in the UK under UK immigration laws for visa users.

UK Immigration Solicitors can assist with UK Family visas and Spouse visa renewals under FLR (M) for spouses, partners, or children.

We are skilled and experienced immigration lawyers who have worked in UK immigration law for many years. Additionally, we can help you apply for a Family visa or a Spouse visa extension through FLR (M). We guide you through the process and offer tips on completing the application and gathering the necessary documents.

We can also assist with your Family or Spouse visa appeal if your extension application is denied. Moreover, we can help ensure your next Family or Spouse visa application meets all requirements.

Call us at 02033844389 or send us an email today to find out more about the services we offer and what we can do for you.

Quick Contact Form NHP (1)

Inline form for homepage

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.