How to apply for a UK spouse or partner visa

How to apply for a UK spouse or partner visa

UK offers different routes for individuals who want to join their partners residing in the UK through a spouse visa or partner visa. This visa category comes under a family visaHowever, the application process seems very tiresome and time-consuming. Don’t fret! In this article, we’ll explain how to apply for a spouse visa in detail.

But before moving forward let’s get an overview of spouse visa or partner visa.

Understanding UK Spouse Visa

If you’re married to or in a civil partnership with someone who lives in the UK, you might be able to join them through a UK spouse or partner visa. Moreover, this visa helps families stay together and supports real relationships. 

How to Apply for a Spouse Visa UK?

There are two ways to apply for a spouse visa. You can apply from inside as well as outside the UK. 

  • Depending on your specific situation, the duration of your partner’s visa can vary. A 33-month visa is available for those applying from outside the country.
  • The duration of the visa is 30 months if you’re submitting an application from the UK.
  • You have the option to renew the visa for an additional two years and six months before it expires. It takes five years to seek for established status after renewing it.
  • The next step is to apply for a two-year, six-month partner or spouse visa. You will be able to seek another extension of your leave to remain for the same duration once this expires. You will be able to apply for settled status after five years if you fulfil the requirements of these visas.

  • Apply from Outside the UK

    The sections of the Rules that must be followed in order to apply for a family visa are Appendix FNSE (specified evidence) and Appendix FM (Family Members). To sum up:
    Getting entry permission is necessary for a partner who does not currently reside in the UK;

  • A spouse residing in the United Kingdom will seek permission to remain;
  • An individual can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after holding a partner visa for five years.
  • Before one can make the application, they must submit a valid application. Make sure you use the right application form. You need to provide a legitimate form of identification and pay the correct application fee.
  • Unless you are seeking Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will additionally need to pay the NHS Surcharge when you submit your application. Every case is unique, thus choosing the right application form is essential.
  • In addition to completing the online application, international applicants must additionally fill out Appendix 2, which details the financial criteria.
  • Please note that the Leave to Remain (FLR(M)) and Indefinite Leave to Remain (SET(M)) forms are particularly suitable for United Kingdom applicants. Please fill out both of these forms online.

    Spouse Visa Requirements 2024

    Information required

    When you submit your application, be sure to have the necessary documents and information on hand. If you are applying with a dependent, be sure to include their details as well. Here is what you must have:

  • each of your names
  • you must provide the following documents: proof of identity (such as birthdate, passport, etc.).
  • a copy of the photo page, and any relevant visa or entrance stamps from your past passports.
  • your criminal record, information about any immigration applications you have filed in the past, 
  • a copy of your biometric resident permit (if available), and any relevant facts regarding any prior convictions
  • If you are applying from outside the UK, please provide your parents’ date of birth and nationality in addition to your national insurance number. 
  • Certified translations of documents not written in English or Welsh, 
  • your tuberculosis test results (where required by law in your country),
  • In order to apply for a visa from outside the UK, you must have an empty page in your passport.
    In addition, you must:

  • provide evidence of your finances
  • demonstrate your proficiency in English
  • Additional paperwork, such as a sponsorship letter from a relative in the UK, may be required. However, this will depend on your specific situation.
  • When you apply, you’ll be instructed on how to submit your document.

    Your Spouse’s Information

    You will be questioned about your partner’s:

  • first name
  • birth information
  • citizenship status
  • identity card
  • a valid reason to be in the United Kingdom, such as being a citizen of the United Kingdom
  • Additionally, you must include information about:

  • anyone to whom your spouse has been married had children, or been in a civil union in the past
  • documentation of a marriage’s dissolution, such as a certificate of divorce
  • everyone your spouse provides financial assistance to, such as their parents

  • Relationship verification 

    If you are applying as a spouse or partner there will be questions regarding:

  • your partner’s connection, such as how you two met and how frequently you see each other
  • you may need to provide evidence of the duration of your relationship, such as council tax bills.
  • Items you pay for collectively
  • Whether you are caring for your partner

  • Your past partners 

    People who have been married or have had children in the past must include their information. Please include documents that attest to the dissolution of marriages, such as a divorce certificate.


    Information on your children (and any children of your spouse, if any) will be required. Even if they aren’t applying, you’ll still be questioned about all of your children. Specific information regarding:

  • the name
  • which country they were born in
  • the person’s birthdate
  • information from their passport
  • who typically resides with the child
  • everyone else who has legal custody of your kid, including the parents of your stepchildren
  • what role do you play in their routine
  • plans you’ve made to visit the kid—for instance, the courts have given you permission to visit
  • the family of the kid
  • any of the countries where your child has lived or visited

  • Life outside the United Kingdom

    Specific details about:

  • locations outside of the UK where you have resided and have visited 
  • relatives and friends in the countries of your birth or nationality
  • Quick Contact Form NHP (1)

    Inline form for homepage

    "*" indicates required fields

    How can we help you today?

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.