Are you planning to join your spouse in the United Kingdom? For this purpose, you have to apply for a Spouse visa. The process of getting a spouse visa might seem tireless but fear not! This comprehensive guide will take you step-by-step through the procedures, requirements, and crucial details to guarantee a seamless and successful spouse visa application process in the UK. Additionally, you can ease this process by getting help from professional UK Immigration Solicitors.
An Overview of Spouse Visa
For those who want to join their partner who is a British citizen or a permanent resident of the UK, there is a spouse visa, also called a UK marriage visa. With this visa, people can live, work, and study in the UK for a predetermined amount of time, giving them the chance to start a life with their spouse. Moreover, this type of visa falls under the category of family visas.
With the Spouse Visa UK, you can live with your partner in the UK for up to 30 months. You can extend it for another 30 months if you meet the eligibility requirements.
UK Spouse Visa Requirements
To qualify for a Spouse Visa UK you have to fulfil the following requirements:
- The age of you and your partner must be over 18;
- You must pass the genuine relationship test;
- Moreover, you should have all the required documents;
- You have to show your knowledge of the English language;
- Must fulfil the financial requirements and the minimal income criterion;
- Ensure that you, your spouse, and any dependents have appropriate housing;
- Additionally, you have to take your biometrics to receive a leave of absence;
- Any previous relationship must be ended;
- Further, you and your partner plan to live permanently in the United Kingdom;
- Depending on the applicant’s home country, you might also need to pass a medical exam to prove you don’t have tuberculosis (TB) in order to be allowed to stay in the UK;
Which documents are required to apply for a Spouse Visa?
Ensure you have all the required documents to support your application for a UK Spouse Visa. Here is a list of documents you must send to the Home Office to obtain the right to remain in the UK.
- Certificate of your original marriage or civil partnership
- Evidence that you and your partner have lived together for at least two years.
- a current passport to obtain permission to stay in the UK
- A valid certificate attesting to the requirement in English
- Proof of accommodations
- Proof of a sincere relationship
- Evidence that you meet the financial requirements and the income threshold
- Evidence showing you are married to a British national or permanent resident ( For example, UK nationals may submit a copy of their passport).
Please keep in mind that any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a professionally translated version. All proof must be in the precise format the Home Office requires.
Financial Requirements for Spouse Visa
Along with the other requirements you have to meet the financial requirements as well. You must first demonstrate that you and your spouse—wife, husband, or partner—meet the financial requirements and have sufficient income to support one another without requiring assistance from the government.
If the UK spouse does not have dependent children, they must make at least £18,600 before taxes.
To meet the required amount of money, you will require an additional £3,800 before tax if you have one dependent child. The sponsor will require an additional £2,400 for each additional child.
Appropriate Income Sources: The income may come from a variety of sources, including:
Employment Income: From both the applicant’s legal work outside of the UK and the sponsor’s job in the UK.
Savings: One can reduce the current income requirement to a certain extent using savings. Currently, the amount equals £62,500. However, this is subject to change, so always confirm the most recent figure with an immigration specialist.
Pensions: Includes both private and public pensions.
Self-Employment: As long as they are properly documented, corporate profits may be taken into account.
Rental Income: Property owned, excluding the couple’s primary residence.
Returns on Investments: If they are verifiable as well as consistent.
Relationship Requirements for UK Spouse Visa
- Your partner and you must have met in person.
- Both you and your spouse need to be legally married.
- Your relationship needs to be sincere.
- Within six months of coming to the UK, make plans to get married or form a civil partnership.
Spouse Visa Accommodation Requirements
You will be required to confirm accommodation that fulfils UK living standards as part of your UK Spouse Visa application. Your UK national partner, who will act as your sponsor, must demonstrate that he or she can provide adequate housing for themselves, the applicant, and any dependents who wish to live in the UK.
The Home Office will request the following documentation as proof of accommodations:
- An explanation of the land you plan to reside on with your partner
- Moreover, evidence that the property has enough rooms for everyone
- Proof that you can pay for the accommodation of your family
How to apply for a Spouse Visa?
- Begin your Spouse visa application ahead of your planned move to the UK.
- Do not book your flight or travel before obtaining visa approval from the Home Office.
- Start the UK Spouse visa application process online by completing Appendix FM and other required forms from outside the UK.
- Visit a visa application centre to provide biometrics as part of the process.
- Ensure accurate completion of multiple forms and submission of necessary documents with sufficient evidence to improve the chances of visa approval.
- If applying from within the UK, demonstrate eligibility by proving your current visa status.
- Prepare for a potential Spouse visa interview if the Home Office doubts the application.
- During the interview, expect questions to assess the authenticity of the relationship and intentions in the UK.
The Spouse visa application process can be time-consuming and difficult to navigate on your own. We are able to assist. Get in touch with us right now at 0203 384 4389 or send an online inquiry to consult with one of our immigration attorneys on your UK spouse visa application.
Top Benefits of Holding a Spouse Visa UK
Many advantages come with having a UK spouse visa, which eases the adjustment to UK life.
The right to work: It is therefore simpler to work on a spouse visa since the visa holder is free to enter the UK and look for a job or launch a business.
Education Accessible: The visa facilitates academic advancement and skill development by allowing entry to both public and private educational institutions.
Benefits of Healthcare: You can access the NHS, the public healthcare system in the UK, with the UK Spouse Visa, ensuring medical security.
Possible Route to Citizenship: You might be qualified to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after being there for a predetermined amount of time on a spouse visa. Moreover, it is a procedure that can assist the applicant in settling in the UK.
How much time does it take to get a Partner Visa?
The typical processing time for a UK spouse visa case is two to twelve weeks. Moreover, depending on the presented documents and the country of application, the processing period for a Partner Visa may differ.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it possible for me to apply for a UK spouse visa?
You can submit an application for a UK marriage visa if you and your spouse meet the strict requirements to stay in the UK.
Moreover, you can submit the application from your current residence or from within the United Kingdom. To prove your eligibility to enter the UK on this permit, you must provide strong evidence of your relationship.
If you’ve been living with your spouse in another European country other than the UK, you may be eligible for the ‘Surinder Singh’ path rather than a regular visa.
Where can I apply for a UK Spouse Visa?
When applying for a spouse visa from outside the UK, typically, it’s done from your home country, unless you’re visiting another country. Being a citizen of that country isn’t a requirement.
If you’re currently in the UK with permission to stay for over six months, you can apply from within the UK for leave to remain as a spouse.
Our team of UK Immigration Solicitors specializes in helping foreign national spouses to relocate and settle in the UK alongside their partners. With a track record of helping numerous spouses successfully apply for UK Spouse Visas, we bring extensive expertise to the process.
Whether you seek detailed guidance on Immigration Rules for Spouse Visas, an impartial assessment of your eligibility, or professional support in preparing your application, our UK Immigration Solicitors are dedicated to assisting you.
Navigating the complex financial requirements, especially the necessary documentary evidence demonstrating access to funds, can be challenging. Our specialists excel in helping applicants. Get in touch with us now at 0203 384 4389.