How to Switch from a Fiance Visa to a Spouse Visa

Switch from a Fiance Visa to a Spouse Visa - UK Immigration Solicitors

Before the expiration of your fiance visa, you have the option to switch fiance visa to spouse visa. The initial stay for holders of UK spouse visas is 33 months, and they are eligible for an additional 30 months of extension. Spouse visa holders are eligible to live, work, and attend school in the UK. Spouse visa holders are eligible to apply for settlement (also known as indefinite leave to remain or ILR) after five years in the UK.

You may switch from fiance to spouse visa UK without leaving the nation. Even though the spouse visa application normally must be done outside the UK.

Finance Visa Vs Spouse Visa

Fiancé visas and Spouse visas are two subsets of the Family visa. However, they differ significantly in key aspects. The fiancé visa, referred to as the Marriage visa or the Proposed Civil Partner visa, is a temporary visa that permits non-British individuals to marry their fiancé, fiancée, or prospective civil partner in the UK. The validity period is often six months.

People from other countries who have fiancé visas cannot work in the UK. Also, any time passed in the UK as a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner will not count towards the time spent living in the UK that is needed for indefinite leave to stay.
On the other hand, the Spouse visa lets foreigners live, work, and go to school in the UK with their British wives or partners for a long period. You can get an extension on your Spouse visa after two years and six months if you switching from a fiance to a spouse visa UK.
You might be able to apply for indefinite leave to stay after living in the UK for years on a Spouse visa. From a Fiancé visa to a Spouse visa, it is not possible to change to a Marriage Visitor visa. There are, however, several requirements you must meet to be eligible.

Requirements to Switch Fiance Visa to Spouse Visa

In order to switch from a fiance to a spouse visa UK, you need to meet certain eligibility requirements:

  • The fiance, fiancée, or prospective civil partner visa you possess is currently valid, meaning it has not expired.
  • You must not have broken the rules about immigration.
  • As a fiance, fiancée, or proposed civil partner visa holder, you have married or entered into a civil partnership.
  • Your character must be good; you cannot have any pending criminal charges or pose a threat to the UK.
  • Both you and your business associate must raise the necessary funds.
  • Your potential sponsor must meet certain requirements.
  • Must meet English language requirements.

  • Requirements for Partner Sponsorship

    Your spouse or civil partner who resides in the UK must be:

  • a citizen of the UK or Ireland
  • an individual with a settled status in the UK (e.g., EUSS Settled Status or ILR)
  • holders of a Turkish Worker visa or a Turkish Businessperson visa
  • someone in the UK who is protected by humanitarian laws or has refugee status
  • What are the Financial Requirements?

    When you applied for the fiance visa, you and your partner would have shown proof that you make at least £18,600 a year, plus £3,800 a year for your first child and £2,400 a year for each child after that.

    The Home Office will usually use the proof you gave them when you first applied for an immigration visa when you switch to a spouse visa. You may have to show proof that you are currently working or are self-employed, though.

    English language Requirements

    When you apply for your fiance visa, you will already have shown that you can speak and write English well. This means that the Home Office is likely to agree that you already meet this requirement, and they will not ask for any more proof.

    Documents Required to Switch from a Fiance Visa to a Spouse Visa

    To process your application to change your status from “fiance” to “spouse,” the Home Office may ask for several documents. The Home Office will already have these papers. So you may not need as many as you did for your first fiance visa. You may have to give:

  • Your current passport
  • Proof that you are married or in a civil partnership in the UK within the last six months, such as a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.
  • Evidence that you are currently working or being self-employed
  • Proof that you and your partner live together, like a lease, energy bills, a council tax bill, a bank statement, or a letter from your doctor.
  • Moreover, proof that you have a good place to stay
  • Just keep in mind that the list above is not complete. Details about your situation may change and you need to provide more documents.

    Read more to check the complete list of spouse visa documents

    Steps Involved In Switching From Fiance to Spouse Visa UK

    You will need to do the following things to switch from a fiancé visa to a spouse visa:

  • Fill out the application form online.
  • Pay any fees for applying.
  • Set up a meeting at a UKVCAS service center.
  • Upload any file that the Home Office asks for.
  • You will need to bring your fingerprints and photo to your UKVCAS appointment.
  • Processing Time for Fiance Visa Application

    Switching from a fiancé visa to a spouse visa in the UK usually takes about 8 weeks. This is way quicker than the usual 24 weeks it takes for a spouse or partner visa when you apply from outside the UK.


    In the UK, it can be easy to switch from a fiancé visa to a partner visa if you follow the right steps and give all the necessary paperwork. It is faster than asking for a spouse or partner visa from outside the UK, which usually takes 24 weeks, and the process only takes about 8 weeks. Couples can easily switch to a spouse visa and continue their journey together in the UK if they know what the requirements are, stay organized, and get help if they need it. Moreover, you can get help from expert solicitors to make your visa process smooth. 

    Quick Contact Form NHP (1)

    Inline form for homepage

    "*" indicates required fields

    How can we help you today?

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.