Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)

Our experts to discover how we can assist you in applying for a Minister of Religion Visa (Long Term Work Visa)

To get immediate assistance call us now at 0203 384 4389. We’re always available to help you.

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
How can we help you today?

Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)

The Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2) does provide a potential path to settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK.

Individuals who have been sponsored to perform a primarily pastoral leading role within a bona fide faith-based organisation or religious order in the United Kingdom may apply for the Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2).  

It is possible to settle in the UK as a Minister of Religion using the (Tier 2) route and applicants can be accompanied or joined by a spouse and children under the age of 18.

Consider instead the Temporary Work – Religious Worker Visa if you wish to support the activities of a UK religious institution by working in a religious order or undertaking non-pastoral work for a religious order, for no more than two years.

Call us at 0203 384 4389  for furtherinformation.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

We Can Help You With Your Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Who is eligible for the Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)?

UK Visas & Immigration requires the following requirements in order to grant you a Minister of Religion using the (Tier 2) Visa:

You may have to meet different requirements depending on your situation. To ensure that any mistakes can be identified, and a solid strategy can be developed and implemented, you must seek professional advice and guidance as soon as possible.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What are the Main Role and Responsibilities of a Tier 2 Minister of Religion?

Individuals who are qualified to perform the job of a Minister of Religion are eligible for the (Tier 2) Minister of Religion Visa.

You will hold a major role within your religious establishment or organization in the UK, such as a minister, missionary, member of a religious order, or another religious worker with a pastoral role.

Ministers of Religion are expected to fulfil religious duties either within their sponsor’s organisation or as directed by their sponsors in the UK. The duties you perform here may include preaching, pastoral work, and non-pastoral work. The majority of your duties should be pastoral. For example, you should lead a congregation in performing rites and rituals and preach the essentials of the creed. Religious leaders such as priests, imams, rabbis and other ministers of religion would fall under this category but is not limited to them.

The main duties of a Minister of Religion do not include school teaching, media production, domestic work, administrative work, or clerical duties, unless you hold a senior position within your sponsor’s organization (like a financial controller). In these cases, applicants should consider other routes, such as the skilled worker route, to be sponsored.

How Do I Get a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)?

For a Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2), you must hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a sponsor approved by the Home Office for the role you wish to perform in the UK. Ensure that your sponsor holds a valid Tier 2 Minister of Religion sponsor license.

You will be sponsored by a genuine religious organization that:

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What are the Financial Maintenance Requirements?

Your bank account must contain at least £1,270, held for a minimum of 28 days, ending at least 31 days prior to the date of your Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2) application, unless you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months or your employer agrees to cover your costs during your first month in the UK (which is confirmed on your Certificate of Sponsorship).

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What are the English Requirements?

In order to apply for the Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2), you must have a good grasp of English.

Reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language are needed.

Can I Switch My Existing Visa to a Tier 2 Minister of Religion?

You may switch into the Minister of Religion (Tier 2) route if you currently have leave to remain in another immigration category, unless you were granted permission as a visitor, short-term student, parent of a child student, seasonal worker, domestic worker in a private household, or outside the Immigration Rules.

How Long is a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Valid For?

The Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2) is valid for the length of time stated on the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days or 3 years and 1-month, whichever period is shorter.

Ministers of Religion may spend up to 6 years on the Tier 2 Minister of Religion route. Upon applying for permission to stay in the UK as a Tier 2 Minister of Religion from within the UK, you will be granted permission for a maximum of 6 years plus the difference between that period and the period you have already been granted permission by the Tier 2 route.

You will be able to work in the job you have been sponsored for if your Minister of Religion Visa (T2) application is successful.  Additionally, you will be able to do voluntary work and pursue studies.

When Can I Become Settled under the Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa Route?

After five years’ continuous residence in the UK, T2 Ministers of Religion are eligible to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain in the UK).

You can combine time spent in the T2 Minister of Religion category with time spent in the International Sportsperson, Skilled Worker, Tier 1 (other than Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), Sole Representative of an Overseas Business, Innovator, and Global Talent categories.

In any 12-month period during the 5-year period used, you cannot have spent more than 180 days outside the UK.

A sponsor will need to confirm that you will continue to work for them for the foreseeable future and that you will be paid appropriately.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages requires you to demonstrate speaking and listening ability at least to B1 and pass the Life in the UK test unless you are exempt.

This means that if you continue working for your sponsor (and meet compliance requirements) for a continuous period of 5 years, you are eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain which will then afford you a status equivalent to permanent residency.

At this point, you become free from immigration control and enter and leave the UK at your leisure without any visa requirements.

You also enjoy all of the same rights as a settled person in the UK

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Can My Dependents Join me on the Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa Route?

Tier 2 ministers of religion may join or be accompanied by a dependent partner aged 18 and up as well as a dependent child.

Dependents may also need to satisfy a financial requirement in addition to providing evidence of their relationship.  The Tier 2 Minister of Religion – or their partner or child – will need £285 for a partner, £315 for one child and £200 for each additional child, unless they have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months or their employer covers their first month’s costs.  The money needs to have been held for at least 28 days and not more than 31 days before the date of their visa application.

Settlement is only open to dependent partners of Tier 2 Ministers of Religion who have lived in the UK continuously for 5 years with no more than 180 days absence in any 12-month period and have demonstrated English language proficiency on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages at level B1 speaking and listening or have passed the Life in the UK test.

How Long Is the Processing Time for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa?

Visa decisions for most Tier 2 Minister of Religion applications are made within three weeks. If a visa application centre offers a priority service, you may be able to obtain a faster decision.

Most applications to extend stay as a Tier 2 Minister of Religion are decided within eight weeks of submission.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How can UK Immigration Solicitors help me with My Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa?

Our expert legal team are highly experienced in assisting with the below services (where the option has been made available by UKVI and is considered appropriate)

New Applications – We can help you assess the merits, challenges and solutions to any issues arising whilst making a new application for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa

Dependents – We can help you make a successful application for your partner or children to join you as your dependents on your Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa.

Legal Representations – Where applicable, if you find yourself in an unusual or challenging situation and want the Home Office to take notice of your special circumstances to ensure that you are treated fairly and your rights are respected, our expert team can make both oral and written persuasive legal representations.

Challenge a Refusal – If your application has been refused, we can consider your refusal for free and advise on the best course of action.

Administrative Review – Home Office or Immigration Rules can be challenged if the decision-maker failed to follow them correctly.

Judicial Review – If your application was denied illegally, unreasonable or procedurally improperly, our immigration lawyers can apply for Judicial Review and represent you at the Judicial Review hearing.

Appeal an Unfair Decision – The decision to refuse your application may provide you with a right of appeal to the First Tier Tribunal. Our expert lawyers can advise you on and handle Appeals before the Immigration & Asylum Chamber (First Tier & Upper Tribunal)

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How can UK Immigration Solicitors help me?

We provide global assistance to clients all around the world remotely which means in most cases, you never need to visit us in person for us to provide you with expert legal assistance.

We are a multi award winning, nationwide, fully regulated law firm and are widely recognised as being the UK’s #1 Immigration Specialist Law Firm.

We offer easy to understand, fixed fee services and comprehensive representation so you, the client knows exactly what to expect and have full peace of mind about how much our service costs without worrying about unexpected further fees.

We offer free initial assessments for all cases so if you have some questions, want to make sure you qualify or just want to understand the process and associated costs, get in touch with us now by phone or online enquiry and take the first proactive step in your immigration journey today.

Immigration is a constantly changing and complex area and government application fees are rising each year, so it is important you seek expert advice and assistance to ensure that you are fully clear on what to do, when and why.

We are the original and still the best! Proud to be the UK’s #1 Immigration Law Firm.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)

At UK Immigration Solicitors, we are passionate about all thing’s immigration. As a multi award winning nationwide law firm, we are proud to offer a truly global service. We have assisted clients from more than 120 countries over the last 10 years. We are proud to innovate and lead the immigration law industry.

Back in 2012, after carefully listening to the frustrations of clients who could not find reliable immigration advice online, we pioneered the provision of legal representation for immigration cases online. This was a revolutionary transition and since our innovations, there have been a whole multitude of online immigration service providers.

UK Immigration Solicitors are immensely proud of our reputation and our ability to deliver a truly global, comprehensive service to our clients without the need for them to step foot outside of the comfort of their own home in most cases.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Most of the time, a child needs a visa in order to live in the UK. For instance, if their parent is a foreign national working or studying in the country, the child may need a Child Dependant Visa.

Immigration rules are complex and subject to regular changes and revisions. This itself presents problems as it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are aware of and have complied with any changes to the routes, processes and evidence requirements.

Failure to meet strict rules is likely to result in the application being refused which, in turn, is likely have an emotional and financial strain on you and your family.

It is our job to ensure we are fully aware of the latest immigration rules, policies and procedures. We don’t leave matters to chance. Once you become a client of ours, we explain our strategy and tell you exactly how we propose to get you the right result. We will pinpoint the positives and negatives of your circumstances and explain where issues may arise and what would need to be done to fix them. We provide step by step guidance and advice throughout the entire process professionally. Our vast experience allows us to foresee problems before they arise and pro-actively adopt a strategic action plan.

Our legal fees are always agreed and fixed with you right at the beginning of your case, so you have complete peace of mind and control over the costs to ensure there are no restrictions or unpleasant surprises.

There are many online agencies, advisors and marketing companies who claim to be immigration experts but, provide very little expertise.

Let us be very clear here, if you are paying for someone just to fill in the forms for you, you should think about how you can put that money to better use and avoid gambling with your future by using inexperienced and ineffective companies.

We are a fully regulated nationwide, multi award winning law firm that specialises in immigration. Having more than 60 years of combined expertise and having handled more than 8,000 cases we have unrivalled experience and expertise to ensure you get the right result first time around – Don’t take our word for it though, check out our reviews to see why our clients trust us with their futures. We are rated 5* across the board and 98% of our clients have confirmed that they would recommend us to others.

Here are just some of the reasons to choose us:

  • We are the UK’s #1 Immigration Specialist Law Firm
  • We are a fully SRA regulated law firm so you are working directly with our in house legal team
  • No agencies, middlemen or outsourcing
  • We have achieved 99% success rate across all application types
  • We have a 24 hour helpline that operates 7 days a week – 365 days a year
  • We have multiple offices across the UK but 90% of our clients are not required to visit in person
  • We have more than 60 years combined immigration expertise
  • Our team have handled more than 8,000 cases
  • We offer a free initial assessment which will explain your options and check your eligibility for your chosen route
  • We operate a 100% Agreed Fixed Fee model with all fees fixed and agreed before work is started
  • 98% of our clients would recommend us to family & friends
  • Our average rating is 4.6/5 across major review platforms (based on over 2000 reviews).

If you have an immigration related problem or question, you can have a free assessment with a member of our assessments team.


The assessor will establish why you are calling and what you are looking for assistance with. The assessor will ask you a series of questions to determine your circumstances in relation to your objectives.

The assessment is 100% private and confidential. As we are a private law firm, we work with our clients to overturn Government decisions daily. We do not share any information with any third party.

Although the assessor will be a trained immigration specialist, they are not solicitors and therefore will not give you detailed legal advice or guidance.

If you want to establish what your options are and the best way forward for you, your assessor will collate the necessary information and then speak with one of the resident senior solicitors at the firm to determine what your options are, if and how we could assist and confirm whether we would be prepared to take your case. If we can assist, you will be provided with an Agreed Fixed Fee quotation which is a single legal fee to cover the firms cost of representation agreed from the outset and binding for all parties.

The free assessment is no obligation and you are merely given clarity on your position and options to move forward.

If you have a complex matter or require legal advice regarding a specific issue, you will most likely require a legal consultation.

This is a separate service and is chargeable at the prevailing rates.

Please note, UK Immigration Solicitors are a private law firm and are not part of the Government. We do not accept legal aid instructions. Although we are happy to assist genuine callers, we are not a directory service and sadly are unable to provide you with Government telephone numbers.

To get started you can either call us on 0203 384 4389 or complete the assessment form and one of the team will call you

How can we help you today?

Our Services

Spouse Visa, Fiancé Visa, Civil Partner Visa
Child Dependent Visa, Adult Dependent Relative Visa
ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), Visa Extensions, ILR through Domestic Violence
Retaining Rights of Residents, EU Settlement Status
Appeal a Decision , Challenge a Refusal, Judicial Review, Administration Review
Denied Entry , Deportation, Legal Representation, Detention & Bail
UK Business Expansion, UK Start-up Visa
UK Investor Visa, UK Self Sponsorship Visa,UK Sole Representative Visa
UK Visit Visas, Business Visit Visa
Visit Visa For marriage & Civil Partnership, Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
Skilled Worker Visas, Graduate Visa
Domestic Worker in Private Household Visa
Student Visa, Child Student Visa