UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa 1

The UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa for those in civil partnerships with British citizens or residents to go to the UK to be with them.

We can help you with eligibility requirements, application procedures, and professional application guidance. Call or email us at 0203 483 4389 for more information on the Civil Partnership visa.
How can we help you today?
How can we help you today?

What is the UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa 1

The Civil Partnership Visa (also known UK as the UK Civil Partner Visa) is a kind of family visa for the UK, just like the spouse and Unmarried Partner Visas.

It allows foreign nationals to live permanently in the UK with their British or Irish partners, with the ultimate goal being to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

There are many similarities between these visas. For example, the requirements to apply and the activities you can perform in the UK with them.

But unlike marriage or any other kind of connection, the UK Proposed Civil Partnership visa is valid just for couples who are in a legally binding civil partnership.

With a civil partnership visa, you can enter the UK for a maximum of two years and nine months. Then, it can be extended for an additional two years and six months.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

Who Could Submit a Visa Application for UK Proposed Civil Partnership Visa?

A Civil UK Partnership visa application is only available to you if your civil partner:

  • – Is an Irish or British citizen?
  • – holds established status in the UK, such as proof of permanent residency, EU
  • – Settlement Scheme settled status, or indefinite leave to remain
  • – owns pre-settled status via the EU Settlement Scheme (if they arrived in the UK before January 1, 2021)
  • – possesses a Turkish Worker or Businessperson visa
  • – has humanitarian protection or refugee status in the UK


Also, you must meet the following requirements:


  • – You are in a legally recognized civil partnership in the United Kingdom.
  • – Both you and your spouse are older than eighteen.
  • – Your partnership ought to be sincere and long-lasting.
  • – Any prior partnerships have to have ended properly.
  • – You must plan to live with your civil partner permanently and have access to suitable housing in the UK.
  • – You have to fulfill the minimal standards for finances.
  • – You have to be proficient in the required language.

What Kind of Relationship Does a UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa Require?

Proving your legal and binding civil partnership is the most significant step in meeting the relationship criteria for this visa.

This can be achieved by presenting documentation of a legally recognized civil partnership certificate in the United Kingdom.

However, proof of your relationship’s authenticity and continuation will also be required by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). This means that your civil partner connection must be sincere, long-lasting, and free from dishonest motivations.

This is in place to make sure that individuals don’t just go into a civil partnership to sneak around UK immigration laws.

You can show the validity and sustainability of your civil partnership in a number of ways, most of which require presenting a variety of documents and evidence collected throughout the course of your relationship with your civil partner.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

How Do I Show That My Relationship Is Sincere?

You need to provide proof to UKVI and the Home Office that your civil partnership is real and active. If you want to get a UK Proposed Civil Partner visa.

You can do this by submitting a variety of documents with your visa application. Examples of which could be (but are not restricted to) the following:

  • – Proof that you cohabitate, like utility bills or a lease agreement
  • – proof that you share financial duties, like utility bills or joint bank accounts
  • – Proof, if any, that both of you contribute to raising your kids
  • – Proof that you have traveled to each other’s countries of birth
  • – Images, text messages, private letters, trip plan data, and other unofficial records or contacts


It is also required of you to present documentation proving the complete breakup of any prior partnerships or marriages.

You can accomplish this by offering proof of a divorce or, in the event of a civil partnership, proof of separation.

How Much Does It Cost to Apply?

To be eligible for a UK Proposed Civil Partner visa, you and your spouse must prove that you earn a specific amount of money together. This will typically be £18,600.

You will need to contribute an additional £3,800 to your annual income if you want to include a dependant kid with your visa application. The annual need will increase by an additional £2,400 for each subsequent kid.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

How Can I Show That I Have the Required Amount of Money?

To show that you have the necessary funds, you can be asked to submit a variety of documentation.

These could consist of (but are not restricted to) the following:

  • – Bank statements displaying your income and that of your civil partner
  • – six months’ worth of paystubs
  • – a dated, formal letter on headed paper from an employer verifying:


–  that you work there, or your civil partner does

– The title or position that you and your spouse both hold

– How long have you or your co-worker been employed there?
 The nature of the employment contract—permanent, fixed-term, etc.

  • – What you and your spouse make before paying taxes and purchasing national insurance

– the paychecks’ authenticity

After five years, you must prove you meet the financial conditions in order to be eligible for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

If you are placed on a 10-year road to ILR rather than the customary 5-year route, you can still be eligible if you are unable to meet the financial requirements when you first apply for your Civil Partnership visa UK.




What Are the Criteria for Residence?

You must provide the Home Office with proof that you will have a suitable place to remain while in the UK. That proof complies with the requirements when applying for a UK Proposed Civil Partner visa.

This is to make sure that throughout your visit to the UK, you won’t need to look for access to public funding.

The accommodation you choose while visiting the UK has to meet certain requirements in order for your Civil Partnership visa UK to be granted:

  • be possessed or used only by you and your family.
  • have been acquired without using government funding
  • Do not violate the overcrowding restrictions.
  • not offend public health laws

This condition can be fulfilled by submitting:

  •   – Evidence showing you and your civil partner are the only owners of a property, such as a mortgage agreement or title deed
  •   – Evidence showing you and your civil partner are the property’s lawful occupants, as shown by a tenancy agreement
  •   – a letter from a friend or relative stating that you will be staying with them and that they will give you a suitable place to stay during your entire stay in the UK

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

What Proficiency Levels Are Needed in English?

It’s common for you to need to provide proof of your proficiency in English in order to be granted a Civil Partnership visa UK.

If any of the following describes you, you won’t be required to demonstrate your language proficiency or take an English language exam:

  • – You’re past 65.
  • – You are a native speaker of English in a nation.
  • – You possess a degree or other academic credential that was obtained via study or instruction in English.

    – If this describes you, you must apply for an Ecctis certificate to prove that your education was taught in English and is equal to a bachelor’s degree in the UK or above.

  • – You’ve graduated from a UK college or university with a degree or other academic credential.
  • – You are unable to meet the language requirement due to a physical or mental disability.

If none of these possibilities work for you, you must take and pass an authorized English language exam, earning an A1 or better rating according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Keep in mind that after you’ve lived in the UK for 2.5 years, this minimal language requirement will rise. You will now have to obtain an A2 or above on an authorized English language test in order to renew your visa and carry on residing in the UK.

In the event that the test provider hasn’t removed the results, you will be able to utilize the test result again when you renew your visa if you pass it with an A2 or better score on your initial application.


How Can I Apply for a UK Proposed Civil Partnership Visa?

Your Civil Partnership visa application must be submitted online.

Additionally, you need to apply for it in advance of your trip because entry clearance into the UK is dependent upon the approval of your visa application.

You will be required to complete the application form and provide all supporting documentation as part of the application process. You run the risk of having your visa application denied if you do not fill out the form completely and precisely.

When submitting your application, you must also pay your expenses in full.

You might also need to make an appointment at a nearby visa application center after submitting your application in order to provide your biometric data, which consists of your fingerprints and a picture.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

Which documents must I include with my application?

Along with your application for a UK proposed civil partner visa, you must submit the following supporting documentation and information:

  • – Your valid travel ID or your passport as of right now
  • – copies of your previous passports’ photo page and any entrance or visa stamps
  • – Information about any prior immigration applications you have filed Information about any past convictions
  • – The nationalities and dates of birth of your parents
  • – Your tuberculosis test results, should you reside in a nation where testing for the disease is mandated
  • – documentary evidence of the sincerity and sustainability of your connection
  • – documentation demonstrating your ability to pay the required minimum income
  • – documentary evidence demonstrating your proficiency in the minimal language standards or your exemption from them


Keep in mind that any document that is not in Welsh or English must also have a certified translation attached.

What Does the UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa Cost?

The application fee for a Civil Partnership visa is £1,538.

If you have any dependant children, including them in your application will cost an additional £1,538.

When you apply for a Civil Partnership visa, you will also be required to pay the immigration health premium. Adults pay £624 annually, while children under the age of eighteen pay £470.

Keep in mind that the following may also require additional costs from you:

  • – Getting a residency permit via biometrics
  • – Obtaining official translations for paperwork
  • – Taking an exam in the English language
  • – Obtaining an Ecctis certification for your academic credentials
  • – Making use of the super priority visa program

What is the UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa Processing Time?

After the date of your appointment at the visa application center, it may take up to 24 weeks for your application for a UK Proposed Civil Partner visa to be processed.

But be aware that if any of the following hold true, this might take a little longer:

  • – UKVI is dealing with an exceptionally heavy caseload.
  • – While processing your application, you may be asked to submit further information or supporting documentation.
  • – You have a complicated immigration case, or there are further issues with determining your visa eligibility.


If you require faster processing of your visa, you might be eligible to utilize the Home Office’s super priority processing service.

Depending on when your biometrics appointment takes place this £800 guarantee ensures that your application is handled in one or two working days.


How much time can one have a civil partnership visa?

Upon receiving your initial leave of absence for your Civil Partnership visa, you will have thirty-three months—or two years and nine months—to spend in the UK.

You will be able to renew your visa for an additional 30 months, or two years and six months, when this first time is about to expire.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

With a UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa, What Can I Do?

You will have nearly unlimited freedom to live, work, and study in the UK if you have a UK proposed Civil Partner visa.

You won’t be subject to immigration controls and can travel freely to and from the UK.

But you won’t be able to use government money.

This implies that you will not be eligible for many of the state benefits that are offered to UK citizens and permanent residents.

Public money will only be accessible to you after your application for indefinite leave to remain is approved.

How Can UK Immigration Solicitors Assist?

The UK Civil Partner visa application procedure might be somewhat delayed due to the numerous qualifying requirements and supporting papers that must be met.

UK Immigration Solicitors can assist you if you need any guidance with your Civil Partnership visa, including if you’re unclear on how to apply or what steps you need to take to be eligible for this visa.

Our group of expert and competent immigration lawyers has years of expertise practicing UK immigration law. We can assist you in doing the same. We have assisted numerous people in overcoming obstacles in order to arrive and settle in the UK.

We can help you through the process whether you need professional guidance on how to prove that you fit the requirements for a UK Civil Partner visa, assistance setting together your supporting documentation, or support in the event that your visa application has been denied.

Dial 0203 483 4389 or send us an online message to speak with one of our immigration advisors about the services we provide and what we can do for you.


Most of the time, a child needs a visa in order to live in the UK. For instance, if their parent is a foreign national working or studying in the country, the child may need a Child Dependant Visa.

After five years in the UK, you can often request for indefinite leave of stay.

Keep in mind that your time in the UK must have fulfilled the requirements for continuous, legal residency in the country.

For instance, you can’t have left the UK for more than 180 days in a calendar year.

To be eligible for ILR, you must also fulfill the standard conditions of having a clean criminal record and passing the Life in the UK Test.

Visit our dedicated page to learn more about indefinite leave to remain.

A long-term visa known as the Civil Partnership visa enables qualifying civil partners of British nationals to enter and remain in the country. It is meant to act as a pathway to UK permanent residence.

The Proposed Civil Partner visa, which is often referred to as the Fiance visa, is a temporary visa that enables foreign persons who are engaged to British citizens to enter the UK and establish a civil partnership.

Applicants under the Proposed Civil Partner visa UK have a 6-month validity period, during which they must register a civil partnership.

If you have a UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa and are in the UK, you are not allowed to work.

However, once your civil partnership has been registered in the UK, you can apply to convert to a civil partnership visa.

If you already have a valid visa and are in the UK, you can change it to a Civil Partnership visa.

This will most likely happen to you if you have a Proposed Civil Partner visa UK and are in the UK. If so, after registering your civil partnership in the UK, you would probably try to convert to a Civil Partnership visa.

If it’s qualified, you might also be able to transfer from another visa to a UK Proposed Civil Partner visa.

If you have one of the following visas, you cannot convert to a Civil Partnership visa:

  • – Visitor visa
  • – possess a visa that, other than the UK Proposed Civil Partner visa, only permits you to stay in the UK for a maximum of six months.

You must tell the Home Office if you split up with your partner, your relationship terminates, or during your civil partnership visa.

You need to send an email containing your ex-partner and yourself to the Home Office.

  •    – Name
  •    – Birthdate
  •    – Address
  •    – Passport number
  •    – Home Office number for reference

Sending them information about your kids is also required if you have any.

If you apply for another visa after informing the Home Office, you might then be allowed to remain in the UK. For instance, if you are the parent of a British kid who has either settled in the UK or has been here for at least seven years, you may be eligible for a work visa.

In certain exceptional situations, you might also be qualified to request for indefinite leave of remain, such as if:

  •    – Your relationship has failed as a result of abuse or domestic violence.
  •    – You’ve spent ten years living in the UK.
  •    – Your spouse passed away.

The UK Visa for civil partnership and the UK Fiancé Visa are different: Eligible couples who want to get married or form a civil partnership before applying for a spouse visa may apply for the fiance visa.


Our Tried & Tested Comprehensive Representation Process for Successful Outcomes

We provide everything for one fixed, transparent fee – no unpleasent surprises!

Free Initial Assessment

Revieve a free, no obligation assessment. The free assessment is carried out by an expert member of our Assesments Team. We’ll identify your needs and objectives and figure out what your options are and whether you meet the requirements. We’ll also explain exactly how we can help and issue you with a no obligation detailed proposal to take your case on. You decide if you want us to help you through the journey having now understood your options.

1-1 Legal Consultation

If we can help you and you have accepted our proposal of service, we’ll get you booked in for a one to one legal consultation with a lawyer.

This is normally done over the phone but can be facilitated in person too if necessary.

During the legal consultation with a fully regulated expert solicitor, we will explain of the detailed requirements of your chosen visa type and check and rectify any problems and create a legal strategy and documentaton list.

We’ll also give you a step by step guide of your tailored road map.


During the legal consultation, our lawyers will discuss documentary requirements. We’ll explain exactly which documents you’ll need to support your application. We’ll work with you to ensure we have everything we need and address any issues your personal circumstances present. Together, we’ll ensure we have all of the required documentation.

Strategic Assistance

It’s rarely the case that you will have the correct documents available in a format which is acceptable to UKVI without our help.

Too often, we see clients have followed poor internet guides, made assumptions or followed a strategy which worked for someone they know.

We ensure we have a winning strategy in place and provide proactive advice on how to overcome any challenges you face.

File Submission

We’ll work with you through every step of the way to ensure that we have everything we need are we are both happy with your application by sharing a draft with you. Once you have confirmed you are happy with our prepared application, we will submit this for you via secure transmission. We assist with all elements of booking necessary appointments and related processes.

Visa Granted

Having submitted your application, we’ll guide you on how long we can expect the process to take.

We will monitor the application decision and where possible, will proactively review and liaise with the Home Office.v

We’ll deal with any queries raised and make any required legal respresentations for you.

We have helped people from more than 100 countries get a UK visa without them leaving their homes!

If you have an immigration related problem or question, you can have a free assessment with a member of our assessments team.

The assessor will establish why you are calling and what you are looking for assistance with. The assessor will ask you a series of questions to determine your circumstances in relation to your objectives.

The assessment is 100% private and confidential. As we are a private law firm, we work with our clients to overturn Government decisions daily. We do not share any information with any third party.

Although the assessor will be a trained immigration specialist, they are not solicitors and therefore will not give you detailed legal advice or guidance.

If you want to establish what your options are and the best way forward for you, your assessor will collate the necessary information and then speak with one of the resident senior solicitors at the firm to determine what your options are, if and how we could assist and confirm whether we would be prepared to take your case. If we can assist, you will be provided with an Agreed Fixed Fee quotation which is a single legal fee to cover the firms cost of representation agreed from the outset and binding for all parties.

The free assessment is no obligation and you are merely given clarity on your position and options to move forward.

If you have a complex matter or require legal advice regarding a specific issue, you will most likely require a legal consultation.

This is a separate service and is chargeable at the prevailing rates.

Please note, UK Immigration Solicitors are a private law firm and are not part of the Government. We do not accept legal aid instructions. Although we are happy to assist genuine callers, we are not a directory service and sadly are unable to provide you with Government telephone numbers.