Tier 4 Student Visas

International students can study in the UK with a student visa. To get immediate assistance call us now at 0203 384 4389. We’re always available to help you.
How can we help you today?
How can we help you today?

Overview of Tier 4 Student Visas

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.

Speak to our assessment team now to confirm your eligibility and options for free on 0203 384 4389.

Documents You'll Need To Provide

As part of the application process, you need to provide proof of your name, age and nationality. For example your:
If you’ve changed your name, you must bring proof – eg a copy of a deed poll.
The registrar also needs proof of your address, for example a:

Some local register offices require a photo ID but we will advise you if this is the case.

You might need other documents if you don’t have a valid passport and you were born after 1983 but we will check and confirm this for you.

You each need to pay a £35 fee when you attend the register office to give notice. It can be more if you or your partner are from outside EEA or Switzerland.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to take either:

Overseas divorces and annulments

A divorce will usually be recognised in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place.

You need to take your divorce or annulment documents to the register office if they were granted outside of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

The registrar may need to get in touch with the General Register Office (GRO) to confirm whether your marriage or civil partnership can go ahead. If they do, you’ll have to pay a fee of between £50 and £75. The fee will be confirmed once GRO have seen your documents.

When to apply

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course.

How long you can stay

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.

What you can and can’t do

You can:
You can’t:
You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 


You must have:

Your course

You can do a course that’s one of the following:

Postgraduate doctors and dentists

You can apply for this visa if you’re sponsored to do a recognised foundation programme and you’ve:

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they’ve offered you a place on a course. You’ll need to enter this on your visa application.
You must apply for your visa no more than 6 months after you receive theCAS.

If you’ve studied in the UK before

You can only get a CAS in certain situations if you’re applying from within the UK.

If you’re continuing your studies

You can get a CAS if you’re:

If you’re starting a new course

You can get a CAS if your course is one of the following:

If you’re applying to work in the UK

You can get a CAS if you’re applying to either:

Knowledge Of English

You must prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

This usually means passing a secure English language test (SELT).

HEIs can choose how to assess a student’s knowledge of English. They must still be at:

If you have to pass a SELT, it must be from an approved provider.


You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’ve completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in:

You also don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if one of the following apply:

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

Documents you must provide

When you apply for the visa you must provide:

You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Your documents will usually be sent back within 14 days.

Extend your visa

You may be able to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one.

You must:

Who can sponsor you

You can only apply to extend your leave to study if your current sponsor is:

You must include your dependants in your application if they’re on your current visa, including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Switch to this Visa

You may be able to change (switch) to a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you’re in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend – including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 

Family Members

Your family members (dependants) might be able to apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)or Switzerland.

A dependant is either:

You can apply to bring a dependant to the UK if you’re:

They’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of their application. Check how much they’ll have to pay before they apply.


You must show that your dependants can be supported while they’re in the UK.

Each dependant must have a certain amount of money available to them – this is in addition to the money you must have to support yourself.

The amount of money you need depends on:

You must have proof you have the money, and that it’s been in your bank account or your dependant’s bank account for at least 28 days before you or they apply.

Dependants applying in the UK

You should apply for your dependants’ visas at the same time as you extend or switch your own visa.

If you can’t do it at the same time, your dependants can apply to extend or switch their visas at a later date.

Our experienced UK immigration lawyers can help you through each step of the immigration process. 


Most of the time, a child needs a visa in order to live in the UK. For instance, if their parent is a foreign national working or studying in the country, the child may need a Child Dependant Visa.

Regrettably, the duration of stay in the UK under the student route, encompassing the Tier 4 General Visa, does not contribute to fulfilling the minimum UK residency requirements. Nonetheless, international students who transition to the Graduate Visa or pursue a work visa post their studies will commence accumulating time relevant to the minimum UK residency prerequisites for both Indefinite Leave to Remain and British citizenship.

During the student route application, you must verify your identity. Traditionally, biometric information was collected at a UKVCAS point, involving fingerprints and a photo. Alternatively, the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app has been introduced for scanning identity documents. The specific method for identity verification will be communicated to you during the visa application process.

Certainly, under a Student Visa, working in the UK is allowed. International students can engage in employment for up to 20 hours per week and are free to volunteer without limitations.

However, certain restrictions apply:

– Self-employment is not permitted.
– Involvement in business activities is restricted.
– Taking on a permanent full-time job is not allowed.
– Employment as a professional sportsperson or entertainer, paid or unpaid, is prohibited.
– Working as a doctor or dentist in training (unless on a foundation programme) is not permitted.

How can we help you today?
What Type Of Visa Do You Need Help With?

Skilled Worker Visa

Spouse Visa Extension

Business Visa

Long Term Work Visa