UK Visa Extension

If you’re already living in the UK but want to remain in the UK for a longer period of time you can apply for a UK Visa Extension.

If you’re looking for guidance on extending your UK stay, you can get help from our professional solicitors. We’re always ready to help you. Contact us at 0203 384 4389.

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
How can we help you today?

Is it Possible to Extend Your Visa to Remain in the United Kingdom?

The kind of visa you currently possess will determine whether you are able to extend it and for how long. For instance, if you are living in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa, then you cannot extend it because your visa is for less than six months. This is due to the fact that, in most situations, visitor status in the UK is limited to a maximum of six months, after which you will need to reapply for a new visa from outside the country.

When Can I Extend my Visa?

Here are a set of visas that you can extend from inside the UK. This list is not all-inclusive, so before requesting an extension, you should always consult an immigration specialist to make sure you meet the requirements and to discuss all of your options and the best course of action for you:

Skilled Worker Visa

Before you have to apply for an extension, this kind of visa can be valid for up to five years. You qualify for a skilled worker visa extension if you are presently employed in the same job role as when you were last granted leave, your job aligns with the same career code, you have the same sponsor who issued your existing sponsorship certificate, and your employer maintains the licence to sponsor skilled workers. Additionally, you can apply for an extension as long as you want and fulfil the set criteria. You might also be eligible to apply for ILR after five years, which will allow you to live permanently in the UK. To know more about skilled worker vis, call 0203 384 4389

Spouse Visa

Spouse visa allows you to live in the UK for 9 months or 2 years. You can extend it by fulfilling all the requirements. For instance, if you’re requesting as a spouse of a person living in the UK, you have to show that your relationship is real and you plan to live together. Call 0203 384 4389

Ancestry Visa

You are eligible to extend your visa and stay in the UK for an additional five years if you are in the country on an ancestry visa, such as if you are a British overseas citizen or Commonwealth citizen with grandparents who were born in the country. As long as you continue to complete the requirements for eligibility, you are also free to extend this visa for as long as you like. This implies that in addition to being able to and intending to work in the UK, you must have enough money to support yourself and any dependents without using public funds. After you have been living in the UK for five years with an ancestry visa, you can then apply for settlement. For ancestry visa, call 0203 384 4389

Investor Visa

It is no longer possible for applicants to apply for new Tier 1 (Investor) visas; however, if you are already in the UK using this route, you can still apply to extend your stay. But, to be eligible, you must have a minimum of £2 million in the UK, utilize this fund to invest in shares or loan capital in flourishing UK-based businesses, and complete the investment within three months of your investor start date.

If you submitted an application for an investor visa prior to November 6, 2014, the guidelines are a little bit different. However, you can apply to extend your stay in the UK for an additional two years, regardless of when you first got permission to leave under an investor visa. If you want to live permanently in the UK, you can also apply for ILR. For information about investor visa call 0203 384 4389

Crucially, in case you are unable to fulfil the necessary qualifying requirements for a UK visa extension, you might qualify for an alternative kind of visa as per immigration regulations. Most visa types allow for the possibility of switching to another visa route from within the United Kingdom.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What is the Cost of UK Visa Extension?

The cost of the visa renewal process varies depending on the visa type and your stay length. For example, the fee for extending a Skilled Worker Visa for 3-years is £719. If you want to extend it more than 3 years then its cost is £1,423. In the case of a Spouse Visa the extension fee is £1,048. An ancestry visa costs £1,048 and an Investor Visa costs £1638. For every year that you extend your stay beyond the initial one, you will additionally be responsible for paying the £624 Immigration Health Surcharge.

There are just a few situations in which a visitor visa extension may be requested, and they will cost £1,000. This could be the case if you applied to stay for the maximum 6-month duration but your initial visa was for less than six months. Alternatively, if you are a patient getting continuous medical treatment, a student and you continue to fulfil the requirements, a graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board exam, or completing a clinical attachment, you are eligible to extend your visa for more than six months. Nevertheless, the visiting visa is one of those that you cannot change into another type of visa.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How Much Time Does it Take to Extend a UK Visa?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) should typically respond to your application for a UK visa extension within eight weeks of the date you submitted it, though they frequently have a backlog. For instance, the processing period for skilled worker visa decisions is currently 16 weeks on average. If further details are required, your application for an extension can take longer. UKVI might get in touch with you if:

If you need assistance, the British Citizenship Service is here to help you figure out what documents and details you need to include in your showcase of proof. We will help you find, collect, and put together all of your paperwork, making sure that it meets all the necessary legal standards.

Get in touch with us right away at 0203 384 4389 to learn more about how we can assist you.

UK immigration solicitors is one of the top immigration firms based in the UK since 2011. We have a team of experienced solicitors who have years of experience in UK immigration matters.

What is the UK Visa Extension process?

To apply for extension you have to follow Home Office guidelines. Fill out an online visa extension application form. For instance, if you’re requesting a spouse of someone, then you have to fill Form FLR(M). The term FLR (M) acronym for ‘further leave to remain in the marriage category’. However, you must use Form FLR(FP). According to UK immigration rules, the term FP means the family/private life provisions, if you’re applying on the basis of your family or private life.

Additionally you have to give proof of your identity such as your passport. You have two options: either scan your ID document with the “UK Immigration: ID Check” app, or give your biometrics information at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service location. Additionally, most of the time, you have to provide supporting documents along with your application. You can either bring this with you to your UKVCAS appointment or send it through your UKVI account.

You must apply for a stay extension before the expiration of your current visa. Additionally, you have to wait out your decision in the UK. You run the risk of having your extension application withdrawn if you leave the Common Travel Area—which includes the UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands—before getting your request decision from UKVI.

If you’re unsure how to fulfil visa extension criteria, don’t worry; we’ll do it for you. Contact our experts at 0203 384 4389 to speak with them right now.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What happens if your visa to the UK expires?

You must apply for the extension of your visa before the expiration of existing ones.
If your permission to stay in the UK is about to end, but you’ve applied to extend it, you can still stay in the UK while they decide on your application. This is because of a rule called Section 3C in the Immigration Act 1971. It lets you stay in the UK under the same conditions as your previous permission until they tell you whether your application is approved or not.

If you’ve asked to stay longer in the UK, and they’re still deciding, or you’re waiting for a review or appeal, Section 3C leave means you can keep staying here. This rule is in place so that while you’re waiting for a decision or going through the appeal process, you won’t be considered overstaying. It’s a way to make sure people who follow the rules and apply on time aren’t penalized.

UK Immigration Solicitors are experts in UK immigration. Our skilled solicitors are available to help you with the Home Office application process and to provide advice on your options for staying in the UK. For assistance with extending your visa to the United Kingdom, contact us.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Frequently Asked Questions

Most of the time, a child needs a visa in order to live in the UK. For instance, if their parent is a foreign national working or studying in the country, the child may need a Child Dependant Visa.

If you continue to meet the eligibility requirements and apply before your current visa expires, you are able to apply for a visa extension in the UK. However, some visas, such as the visitor visa, are typically not extendable.
There is a backlog, but generally speaking, you will hear back within eight weeks of submitting your application for a visa extension. For instance, the current processing time for skilled worker visa decisions is approximately sixteen weeks.
Depending on the type of visa and even the length of stay, the price of a UK visa extension can change. For instance, the cost to extend a skilled worker visa is £1,423 for a period longer than three years, or £719 for three years.

Quick Contact Form NHP (1)

Inline form for homepage

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Services

Partner Visas
Family Visas
Settlement Visas in UK
Settlement for EEA Nationals
Refusals & Appeals
Detention & Deportation
UK Sponsor License
UK Business Visas
Investment in the UK
UK Visit Visas
Other Visit Visas
Skilled Worker Visas
Other Work Visa
Student Visa