Extensions to Existing Visas – Further Leave to Remain
Each visa has its own eligibility criteria and validity period. In order to avoid breaching immigration rules and ultimately risk exposure to removal from the UK, those subject to immigration control should always ensure that they have made adequate arrangements to leave the UK before their visa expires.
In some cases, you may find it necessary to seek an extension of your existing visa/leave to ensure that you remain legal and compliant with the terms of your visa.
A valid visa is considered to be a valid period of leave. If you wish to extend your existing valid visa, you will require a further leave to remain.
This is a particularly complex area of law as the application process varies depending on your circumstances and the reason why you are requesting an extension.
Extension applications attract sizeable Home Office application processing fees and extensions over 6 months in duration are also subject to an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) fee.
Home Office application fees are non refundable so it is important that the applications are done correctly first time around to avoid costly mistakes.
Confidential Assessment Form
Below are different sets of client circumstances that we regularly deal with when receiving further leave / extension of visa enquiries.
If any of the scenario’s apply to you, speak to a member of our specialist team now to establish whether you are able to make an extension application and determine the best route forward.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK as the partner or dependent child of someone who is settled here or who is a refugee or under humanitarian protection
- I want to extend my stay in the UK on the basis of my family life as a partner, parent or dependent child or on the basis of my private life in the UK.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK for human rights claims, leave outside the rules and/or other routes not covered by other scenarios.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK as a member of HM Forces or their dependant.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK as I was refused asylum but was given another type of permission to stay in the UK.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK because I am a Grenfell Tower survivor and was granted limited leave outside the Immigration Rules.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK as a stateless person and for a biometric immigration document.
- I want to extend my stay in the UK as child under 18 of relative with temporary permission to stay as refugee or with humanitarian protection.
If you are unsure of your position or would like to ensure that your application is handled by a knowledgeable specialist, get in touch with one of our friendly team members now on 0203 384 4389 to find out exactly how we can assist you to get it right first time round, saving you time, money and the heartache of being refused.