Are a Scientist / Academic / Researcher intending to carry out Scientific research in the UK for up to 6 months without receiving any payment for your work.

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
How can we help you today?

Introduction To Science and Academic Visit Visa

Researchers, scientists, and academics who wish to engage in permitted unpaid scientific or academic activities while visiting the UK can apply for a Science and Academia Visit Visa for a period of up to six months, or for certain academics a period up to 12 months. 

This is a subcategory of the standard visitor route.

All visitors must apply separately, even if they are traveling in a group. This visa type is short-term and can be granted for up to 6 months. It will not provide any other rights of residence or allow you to become settled in the UK.

UK Immigration Solicitors are SRA-Regulated Law Firm.

Contact us at 0203 384 4389 for immediate, personalised assistance.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Who is Eligible For the Science and Academia Visa?

UK Visas & Immigration requires the following requirements in order to grant you a Science and Academia Visa:

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What Nationalities Need a Science and Academia Visa?

Visa nationals are individuals who, due to their nationality, need a Visit Visa in order to enter the UK as a visitor. Visitors who require a visit visa must apply before they travel to the UK.

A list of nationalities that require a Visit Visa prior to visiting the UK as a visitor has been published by the Home Office. Some visa nationals may be able to enter the UK as a Visitor upon arrival under this list. Our expert team will be able to check and confirm whether you require a visa for your visit to the UK.

Non-visa nationals can normally apply for entry as Visitors upon arrival in the UK. Nonetheless, visitors without visas must meet the requirements for entry as Visitors, so upon arrival they should be prepared to explain, for example, the purpose of their trip and how they intend to be accommodated and maintained in the UK, as well as their travel plans for returning home. 

Non-visa nationals, including those from the EU or EEA, can enter the UK as a Visitor and do not need to apply for a Visit Visa.

Unsure about whether you require a visa? Speak to our expert team now to confirm if you are required to apply for a visit visa before being granted entry into the UK.

What am I Allowed To Do With a Science and Academia Visa?

Scientists, researchers, and academics may apply for the Science and Academia Visit Visa if they will remain employed and paid abroad and will only be carrying out UK-related activities incidental to their overseas employment. One example might be to visit the UK to participate in a teaching or clinical practice program, to provide advice on an international project or to exchange knowledge on research you are working on overseas.

Research can be carried out by academics, scientists, and researchers for their own use, such as for a book or for employment abroad, but for no commercial gain.

Researchers applying for a 12-month academic visitor visa or an extension to carry out visitor activities for 12 months are generally highly qualified within their field of expertise (generally holding a PhD or higher) and working in that field at an academic or higher education institution overseas.

UK Visas & Immigration will need to determine that you are genuinely seeking entry to the UK for a purpose that falls within the visitor routes and that you won’t do anything that is prohibited before you will be granted a Science and Academia Visit Visa for a stay of up to six months.

Scientists and researchers may carry out the following activities with permission as a Science and Academia Visitor:

Due to the fact that Science and Academia Visit Visas are a subcategory of Standard Visitor Visas, Science and Academia Visitors may also engage in activities that are allowed under Standard Visitor Visas.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

I Am An Academic That Wants To Stay Longer Than 6 Months

Academics hired by foreign institutions (or their accompanied spouses or children) and performing certain permitted activities can apply for an Academic Visit Visa for a period of up to 12 months. As an academic, if you wish to apply for an Academic Visit Visa for a period of 12 months, you must:

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How Are My Intentions Assessed For The Science and Academia Visa?

As part of your application for a Science and Academia Visa, you will be required to satisfy the Home Office that you are genuinely seeking to enter the United Kingdom for a permitted purpose. In addition, you must assure the Home Office that you will leave the United Kingdom at the end of your visit and will not reside in the United Kingdom for prolonged periods through frequent or successive visits or make the UK your place of residence.

In assessing your application, the Home Office will consider the following factors:

  • Previously visited countries and the length of time you spent abroad;
  • Personal financial situation, family, social, and economic background;

  • Economic and personal links to the country of residence.
  • Home Office officials may doubt your authenticity as a visitor if you do not have many close ties to your country of residence and have several close relatives living in the United Kingdom, if you have previously attempted to deceive the Home Office in an immigration application, and if there are discrepancies in your statement and your sponsor’s statement.

    Often, we see that, as a result of applicants making applications themselves, UKVI has highlighted discrepancies and treated them as a deliberate attempt to deceive the Home Office. We regularly hear horror stories from clients who innocently made applications without legal guidance, intending to save on legal fees, but have not understood the immigration rules properly and are now battling to prove that the information they gave was in good faith, albeit contained administrative errors.

    If you are unclear about whether your intentions meet the requirements or are concerned about the impact of how a previous application may affect your proposed visit, get help from our experts now to get clear, bespoke guidance.

Is There An English language Requirement?

There is no English proficiency requirement for applicants for Science and Academia Visa.

However, having a limited command of English can cause many problems whilst preparing and making an application and applying the correct rules and considerations.

Our team are bilingual and can provide you with advice and guidance in languages other than English upon request.

How Long Do Science and Academia Visas last?

You can apply for a Visit Visa that is valid for either a 6 month, 2 year, 5 year, or 10 year period if you wish to visit the UK on a Science and Academia Visa.  

While the validity period of your Visit Visa is valid, you can enter and leave the UK more than once, unless your Visit Visa has been endorsed for single or dual entry, you can visit the UK no more than once every six months.

Am I Required to Meet Any Financial Requirements?

There are no specific requirements as to your financial situation under this visa type, but you will be expected to have enough funds to cover all reasonable costs associated with your visit (e.g., travel, maintenance, and accommodation), without the need to work or access public funds.

A permitted financial institution must hold your funds.

A third party may cover your travel, maintenance, and accommodation costs if the third party has a genuine professional or personal relationship with you, if they do not break immigration laws, and if they are able to support you throughout your visit.

Our expert team can check your plans and guide you through the requirements to ensure that your circumstances can satisfy UK Visa Rules.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Is It Possible To Work On a Science and Academia Visa?

A Science and Academiaor is not permitted to work in the UK or, with few exceptions, to receive any payment for activities undertaken in the UK.

Thus, Science and Academiaors are not allowed to take up employment, establish or run a business as a sole trader, work for an organisation or business in the UK, undertake a work placement or internship in the UK, or otherwise provide or sell goods or services in the UK.

During their visit to the UK, Science and Academiaors are permitted to perform activities related to their employment overseas, such as responding to emails or answering phone calls.  However, the main purpose of your visit to the UK should be to engage in a permitted activity, rather than to remotely work from the UK.

Visitors who are seeking employment or attending job interviews can also come to the UK as Science and Academiaors. If you are successful in obtaining employment, you will have to leave the UK and get entry clearance before starting work.

If you are looking for long term work in the UK, there are a number of alternative visit types which will allow you to do so.

There are specific visa types for religious workers accommodated under the “Temporary Workers” categories which fall under a points-based application applicable under Tier 2 of the immigration rules.

Follow this link to be taken to our Religious Worker Visa or a Minister of Religion Visa page.

Our team are experts in this area and will be happy to assess your needs and identify the best route for you.

Having a job and a place to go back to when your time in the UK is up are two pieces of evidence that can strengthen your case for a long-term UK visitor visa.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

What Are The Fees?

As with most things in life, think accountant, doctor, electrician, it is possible to do it yourself if your suitably qualified and competent. You can complete your own visa application if you feel you have the required understanding of the Home Office rules, requirements and specified evidence thresholds. However, it is not ordinarily recommended if you are not totally comfortable with understanding and satisfying UKVI immigration rules.

It is worth noting that this type of visa is the most refused visa type out of all categories.

Almost every visa has an associated processing government application fee.

It is important to note that this is an administrative fee that you will be charged for the application to be processed irrespective of the outcome.

In the event that you have made an inadequate application or are refused, the processing fee would have already been utilised and therefore, it will not be refunded.

Aside from the application fees, a refusal is likely to have far reaching implications both practical and financial.

If you do not have a strong history of previous compliant visits to the UK, it is unlikely you will be granted a visa for longer than 6 months initially

The Home Office application fee for a Science and Academia Visa is currently £100 for stays up to six months.

Science and Academia Visa that are valid for 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years will cost you £376, £670, or £837, respectively, at the Home Office.

Please note, the above fees are administrative only and do not cover our professional fees for legal representation.

We provide a full representation service for one transparent, affordable fee to handle your entire case.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

How Can UK Immigration Solicitors Help Me?

In addition to offering immigration services, our immigration lawyers assist individuals from around the world to obtain visas to visit the UK for Science and Academia Visas.

In order to obtain a Science and Academia Visa, our immigration lawyers can be of assistance to you in assessing the merits of the application, overcoming challenges, assisting in preparing the application or representing you in challenging a decision to refuse an application.

Having a proactive approach to understanding and meeting the needs of our clients is something we take pride in. Our team is committed to providing clients with clear and reliable immigration advice within a professional and friendly environment.

By now you would have realised that when it comes to Science and Academia Visas, we are the go-to experts.

We are the original and still the best! Proud to be the UK’s #1 Immigration Law Firm.

Science and Academic Visit Visa

At UK Immigration Solicitors, we are passionate about all thing’s immigration. As a multi award winning nationwide law firm, we are proud to offer a truly global service. We have assisted clients from more than 120 countries over the last 10 years. We are proud to innovate and lead the immigration law industry.

Back in 2012, after carefully listening to the frustrations of clients who could not find reliable immigration advice online, we pioneered the provision of legal representation for immigration cases online. This was a revolutionary transition and since our innovations, there have been a whole multitude of online immigration service providers.

UK Immigration Solicitors are immensely proud of our reputation and our ability to delivery a truly global, comprehensive service to our clients without the need for them to step foot outside of the comfort of their own home in most cases.

Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.

Our Services

Spouse Visa, Fiancé Visa, Civil Partner Visa
Child Dependent Visa, Adult Dependent Relative Visa
ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), Visa Extensions, ILR through Domestic Violence
Retaining Rights of Residents, EU Settlement Status
Appeal a Decision , Challenge a Refusal, Judicial Review, Administration Review
Denied Entry , Deportation, Legal Representation, Detention & Bail
UK Business Expansion, UK Start-up Visa
UK Investor Visa, UK Self Sponsorship Visa,UK Sole Representative Visa
UK Visit Visas, Business Visit Visa
Visit Visa For marriage & Civil Partnership, Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
Skilled Worker Visas, Graduate Visa
Domestic Worker in Private Household Visa
Student Visa, Child Student Visa