0203 384 4389
Access to Child Visa

Access to Child Visa

You may be able to settle in the UK if you are the parent of a child living in the UK with an Access to Child Visa.

Your child must either:

  • be under 18 on the date you apply or have been under 18 when you first applied for the visa and not live an independent life

Your child is considered to be living an independent life if, for example, they’ve left home, got married and had children.

Your child must be living in the UK.

One of the following must also be true:

If you’re applying in the UK, they’ve lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it would not be reasonable for them to leave.

If you’re eligible to apply as a partner or spouse, you must do that instead of applying as a parent.

If you are unsure of your position or would like to ensure that your application is handled by a knowledgeable specialist, get in touch with one of our friendly team members now on 0203 384 4389 to find out exactly how we can assist you to get it right first time round, saving you time, money and the heartache of being refused.

Start Your 100% FREE Confidential Assessment

  • Drop files here or

Further Information

Parental responsibility

You need to have sole or shared parental responsibility for your child.

If you share parental responsibility, the child’s other parent must:

  • not be your partner be either a British citizen or settled in the UK

If the child lives with their other parent or carer, you must have access to the child in person, as agreed with the other parent or carer or by a court order.

What you'll need to prove

You must be able to prove that you’re taking an active role in your childs’ upbringing and you plan to continue after you apply.

For example you could send letters from your childs’:

  • school confirming you take them to school or go to parent evenings or a dentist confirming you take them to appointments

You must also prove you:

  • have a good knowledge of English can financially support yourself and your child without claiming public funds

If you do not meet these requirements you can still extend your permission to stay if:

  • your child in the UK is a British citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK.

How long you can stay?

You’ll get permission to stay for 2.5 years. After this you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.

Applying with other children

You can add other children to your application as dependants if they either:

  • are under 18 on the date you apply were under 18 when you first applied for the visa and do not live an independent life

When you can settle permanently

The earliest you can apply to settle in the UK (called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) is after you’ve lived in the country for 5 years continuously with permission to stay (‘leave to remain’) as a parent.

Call Us Now To Discuss Your Needs on