Certificate of Sponsorship For Employers

Get Expert Legal Assistance

Contact us at 0203 384 4389 for immediate, personalised assistance.

"*" indicates required fields

How can we help you today?

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Certificate of Sponsorship For Employers.

Need Help With a UK Employer’s Certificate of Sponsorship?
Whether you need help understanding, applying for, renewing, or appealing a UK Employer’s Certificate of Sponsorship, our friendly, qualified legal team is ready and waiting to help you.
  • Voted Corporate Law Firm of the Year
  • Available 7 days a week
  • Call 24 hours a day
  • Offices nationwide
  • SRA Regulated
  • Friendly, Fast & Affordable Visa Services from the UK’s Leading Immigration Law Firm
  • Free initial 30-minute phone assessment
  • Flexible Payment options
  • Competitive hourly rates
  • Contact us at 0203 384 4389 for immediate, personalised assistance.
    Avoid Costly Application Mistakes.
    We Can Manage the CoS Application Process for You – Risk-Free! Up to 50% of UK visa applications are rejected because of avoidable errors made by applicants. For many people, that means having to pay again to re-apply, causing unwanted expenses, stress, and delays. UK Immigration Solicitors can help you complete and submit your application successfully, ensuring you meet all of the necessary requirements.
  • Your application handled by a qualified specialist
  • Avoid mistakes that could cost you £00’s
  • Round-the-clock support and updates
  • Comprehensive document checks
  • 99% Success Rate
  • Appoint a Qualified Business Immigration Solicitor Today To find out how easily we can save you time, money, and the frustration and inconveniences of being refused, contact our corporate legal team 24/7 on 0203 384 4389.
    What is a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)?

    A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is an electronic record (not a physical document), which must to each foreign worker you employ in the UK. Each certificate has its own number, which a worker can use to apply for a work visa.

    When you assign the certificate to a worker, they must use it to apply for their visa within 3 months. They must not apply for their visa more than 3 months before the start date of the job listed on the certificate.

    You may need to check if your worker needs an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before you assign a certificate of sponsorship.

    For business immigration checks, call our friendly legal team, on 0203 384 4389

    Defined Certificates

    These are for people applying on a Skilled Worker visa from outside the UK. You must apply for defined certificates for these workers through the sponsorship management system (SMS). You’ll get access to the SMS when you get your licence.

    Need a Sponsorship Licence? Click here to find out how we can help you become a UK sponsor.

    When You Get the Certificate

    Applications are usually approved within one working day. It may take longer if UKVI needs to carry out further checks on the information in your application. Defined certificates will appear in your SMS account once they have been approved. You can then assign them to a worker.

    Undefined Certificates

    These are for Skilled Workers applying from inside the UK, and applicants on all other visas. When you apply for your licence you’ll be asked to estimate how many undefined certificates you’ll need for Workers and Temporary Workers in the first year.

    If You’re Sponsoring a UK Expansion Worker

    If your licence has a provisional rating, you’ll only be able to assign one certificate of sponsorship. This must be assigned to the authorising officer so they can enter the UK. Once they’ve got their visa, you can upgrade your licence to an A-rating and request up to 4 additional certificates of sponsorship using the sponsorship management system (SMS).

    Certificate Costs

    You’ll need to pay a fee when you assign a certificate to a worker. How much a certificate will cost depends on the type of sponsor licence you have.

    Type of licenceCost per certificate
    Worker (except workers on the International Sportsperson visa)£199
    Temporary Worker£21
    International Sportsperson – where the certificate of sponsorship is assigned for more than 12 months£199
    International Sportsperson – where the certificate of sponsorship is assigned for 12 months or less£21

    If you assign a certificate of sponsorship to a worker on a Skilled Worker or Senior or Specialist Worker visa, you might also need to pay the immigration skills charge.

    Contact us at 0203 384 4389 for immediate, personalised assistance.

    Our experienced UK immigration Solicitors can help you with your immigration process.