Understanding Work Restrictions on a UK Fiance Visa

UK Fiance Visa

If you want to marry someone in the UK, you may get a UK fiancé visa to do so. There are, however, Fiance Visa UK work restrictions on what you may and cannot do throughout your stay.

Call our lawyers at 0203 384 4389 or send us an email to find out more about the Fiance visa and your rights when you come to the UK with one. We can also help you with any other immigration or visa issues you may have.

Are you not from the EEA but have a fiancé or fiancée living in the UK? Does your partner who lives in the UK have UK-settled status? Are you also going to marry them soon and live with them in this country? And the answer to all of those questions is yes. Then applying for a fiancé/fiancée visa is the way to make your dream come true. You must marry your UK partner to obtain a UK partner visa.

A fiancé or potential marriage visa enables a non-EEA citizen to enter and stay in the UK with their fiancé or fiancée, who resides there, for up to six months in preparation for their marriage.

What Does a UK Fiancé/Fiancée Visa Require?

A person who wants to get a visa must meet a set of standards for the Home Office to accept their application. Among them are:

  • Age: The person who wants to get the visa must be at least 16 years old, and their partner who lives in the UK must be at least 18 years old.
  • Mutual desire to live together: both individuals must want to live together forever after they get married.
  • Meeting the future spouse: The applicant must have already met the future spouse. This is to avoid situations where people are forced to get married, which might not work out. On the other hand, unlike some other types of partner visas, a fiancé/fiancée visa doesn’t require the applicants to have lived together before applying.
  • Evidence that the previous relationships ended: If either party had a previous relationship, whether married or in a civil union, they need to provide evidence that the relationship has ended.
  • Financial capacity: You must show that you have enough money to live on your own without using public money. As of right now, the supporting partner must make at least £18,600 a year. The number might vary over time or if there are children requiring support.
  • Living arrangements: The applicant must show that the sponsor can provide suitable living arrangements for themselves, their foreign partner, and any children they may have.
  • English proficiency: The individual must show that they can speak and write English properly by taking an accepted English test and including the results of that test with their application.

UK Immigration Work Policies

With a fiancé or fiancée visa, you can stay in the UK for up to six months with your partner who already lives there. Following this, you should formalize your relationship with your sponsor (potential spouse) by either marrying officially or initiating a civil union.

UK Fiance Visa Employment Rules

You can’t work in the UK while you’re there on a fiancé or fiancée visa for six months. For that matter, we strongly advise that you put off any plans to do paid work, whether inside or outside the country, during that time. If you try to do paid work or a job during that time, you might be breaking UK immigration rules. In addition, you might not be able to come back if you leave the country for work during that time.

Working on a UK Visa

If you want to work in the UK on a family visa, you should apply for a spouse visa as soon as you marry your partner who lives in the UK. People who have a spouse visa can work in the UK. The visa is good for 33 months at first. The best part is that you can ask for extended leave to remain later, after living and working in the UK for at least five years straight. This will give you the right to stay and work there permanently.

After getting a UK fiancée visa, what happens if you don’t get married?

Sometimes, even if your relationship is genuine and your intentions to formalize it are sincere, circumstances might prevent you from getting married within the visa’s valid period. There may be times when the following are not true:

  • While one person is sick or dead,
  • Not having enough money
  • A breakup of a relationship
  • Family fights

The fiancé or fiancée visa user can ask for an extension of the visa (for six months) if certain conditions are met (other than death). This will give them more time to get ready for the wedding.

However, they have to tell the Home Office and show proof of why the relationship hasn’t turned into an official marriage or civil union, as was first suggested. Regrettably, we might refuse your application depending on the given reason and the provided proof. To keep that from happening, you should talk to a respected UK immigration expert to make sure you provide strong proof. In this case, you can rely on a UK immigration solicitor to assist you in renewing your visa smoothly.

There is no better place to get help with any UK immigration problem than with UK immigration solicitors. We can help you apply for a fiancé or fiancée visa in the UK. The goal of our skilled law team is to make sure that you follow the UK immigration rules correctly and on time. Get in touch with us right away.